Fatigue: Do we or Don't We?

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Fatigue: Do we or Don't We? - Page 4 Empty Re: Fatigue: Do we or Don't We?

Post  Outlander on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm down for Will+END/2. I like the other system (spending fatigue for awesome points), but this is simpler and fits better, and I must therefore admit it is superior.

Outlander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LessRudeScrib on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Ok, it looks like we're ready to chalk this up as a more-or-less finished bit. That was fun.
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Outlander wrote:I'm down for Will+END/2. I like the other system (spending fatigue for awesome points), but this is simpler and fits better, and I must therefore admit it is superior.

I agree completely. Oh well, we can always go with what the game had for awesome points... enchantments, potions and magic.

Also, It just occured to me will+end/2 will make battlemages very powerful. Since they need willpower for damage, and specialize in heavyarmor, they are likely to max out both, along with Intellect. Just an observation.

Rainbay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Jiub on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 pm

It will make battlemages harder to tire out, sure, but with fatigue being a roll to prevent exhaustion, I don't think it will unbalance them that much.
Saint Jiub
Saint Jiub
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Alright, then we call this done unless anyone has any more ideas. We'll see how well it works when we are done and test the system out.

Rainbay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Jiub on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Cool. Do we want to have this stickied, since it's now on the Finished roll?
Saint Jiub
Saint Jiub
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LessRudeScrib on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Maybe ask Admin to make a "This is what we have pretty well set" thread in the News forum, maybe?
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Got it. As soon as I figure it out, I'm gonna sticky this and put up a "to-do" checklist on the News forum, updating it whenever we get something finalized.
Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://elderscrollspnp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 pm

One last thought I came up with. Since becoming fatigued negatives affects all your rolls, would this be applied to future fatigue rolls?

Say you've just ended a tough fight and end up winded, so -10 to all rolls. After the next tough fight, would that -10 apply to your fatigue roll to see if you become even more fatigued?

This could end up with a slippery slope where once you become fatigued you just become more and more fatigued more and more quickly. That is one way to do things, but is it how we want it?

Just a thought, before we completely wrap this up.

Rainbay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GLIPP on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Rainbay wrote:One last thought I came up with. Since becoming fatigued negatives affects all your rolls, would this be applied to future fatigue rolls?

Say you've just ended a tough fight and end up winded, so -10 to all rolls. After the next tough fight, would that -10 apply to your fatigue roll to see if you become even more fatigued?

This could end up with a slippery slope where once you become fatigued you just become more and more fatigued more and more quickly. That is one way to do things, but is it how we want it?

Just a thought, before we completely wrap this up.

I'd say no, as being fatigued didn't make you loose more fatigue in the game.

GLIPP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:50 pm

It appears there is still much left to do with fatigue. People are debating whether fatigue should be returned to a system that is used to make physical attacks, or a system we were discussing earlier in this thread, where after battles you have to roll against your fatigue. I personally view both ways with some fondness, as they each have their own benefits.

Rainbay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dagoth Durr on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 am

I prefer the system we originally decided on.
Dagoth Durr
Dagoth Durr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slotha Sil on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:48 am

I'd like to add two suggestion. First, constant fatigue clock, per rounds of activity. These things count against your fatigue roll. Once a character accumulates enough fatigue points to automatically fail his fatigue check, he does so. I'm going for a way for characters to become fatigue from long combat or extended physical exertion.

Second, as I was mulling around the idea of special attacks, because our present combat system is bland and boring and because I feel that many characters will need some sort of equalizer in battle, what with us going without level-based forced increase in combat prowess. They'd be better than regular attacks at attack bonus or damage conversion, or introduce tactics or combinations, but net you a penalty to your upcoming fatigue check. It's all still rather blurry, but I'd like to know is everyone okay with this system first.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Jiub on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:13 am

We could have a Fatigue allowance the same way casters have a mana allowance. I dunno how we'd price attacks - maybe bigger weapons cost more fatigue per swing, moving costs a certain amount, etc.
Saint Jiub
Saint Jiub
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slotha Sil on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:21 am

Fatigue allowance the same way casters have a mana allowance

I'm in favor of this only if it leads to using a fatigue pool and combat options mechanically treated the same as the mana pool and magic spells. Deciding to completely skip developing non-magical combat options because every character will be able to cast spells was my grave disappointment with this team... They're already completely similar up to the point of calculating damage, where martial actions use weapon stats.

If we stay adamant in using the caveman combat approach, there is no need to overcomplicate - basic actions shouldn't cost anything, and any extraordinary actions should just latch onto that fatigue check we already have established.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Jiub on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:34 am

Caveman combat is boring and now I totally want to work on a combat stance system as well as a spell system.

[edit]
Combat stances would also allow us more variety in terms of skill perks. We can also make stances interact differently with different weapons if we want, though that may be adding too many layers to combat, which would ultimately slow it down.
Saint Jiub
Saint Jiub
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slotha Sil on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Saint Jiub wrote:Caveman combat is boring and now I totally want to work on a combat stance system as well as a spell system.

[edit]
Combat stances would also allow us more variety in terms of skill perks. We can also make stances interact differently with different weapons if we want, though that may be adding too many layers to combat, which would ultimately slow it down.

Different schools will have different approaches to different weapons (no use taking a Plow or a Crown guard with a spear, for example). There's... bah, I'm to tired to think now. If we're going to follow through with this, our entire combat system will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Certain guards will give you bonuses against certain attack techniques used by your opponent (Plow guard is strong against Ox guard), that I'm sure at least.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Jiub on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:32 pm

For the sake of people (like me) who don't know jack about actual fighting, can we simplify the names of the stances and such by a little bit?
Saint Jiub
Saint Jiub
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slotha Sil on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 am

Saint Jiub wrote:For the sake of people (like me) who don't know jack about actual fighting, can we simplify the names of the stances and such by a little bit?

Those are just names Italians and Germans used, they don't actually mean anything (well, the Plow guard look like you're pushing a very small plow). Of course, we're going to come up with our own names.

Guard - stance you have before you strike, and stance in which you end your strike. As you have to move to actually attack an opponent, you're not likely to end up in a same guard at the end of your strike. So, we'll have attacks look like this: starting guard - stroke - finishing guard.

Stroke - is a fancy old name for a strike, and I've just adopted it because it sounds medievally. It's the part where you try to thwack the other guy.

I've rambled a bit more on this down in the Combat System thread. Suffice to say, combat is going to be a mini game where you try to coax breath and blood from your opponent using a system of guards and strokes that are good or bad against certain other guards and strokes, and general dickery.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dagoth Durr on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:26 pm

That sounds pretty awesome really.
Dagoth Durr
Dagoth Durr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum