Elder Scrolls Tabletop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the hell do the stats actually do?!

+3
Admin
Rainbay
LessRudeScrib
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What the hell do the stats actually do?! Empty What the hell do the stats actually do?!

Post  LessRudeScrib Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Open thread for figuring this out.
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

Back to top Go down

What the hell do the stats actually do?! Empty Re: What the hell do the stats actually do?!

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Right, so far this is what we have, those these are subject to change.

Agility, strength and willpower add to fatigue. They will probably do more than this later once we figure out how.

Intelligence sets your magicka. Important stuff.

Endurance sets your health. Either directly, or by +1/10 of your endurance every level.

Luck may allow for a small number of rerolls every sessions, with either luck/20 or luck/10 being the number given, more likely luck/20. Even if we change luck to something else as well, I like this idea.

And that's all we know!

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

What the hell do the stats actually do?! Empty Re: What the hell do the stats actually do?!

Post  Admin Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm

The following is a very quick, cursory overview of suggestions. As always thus far, nothing is finalized!

Agility should be used for dodging. Allow me to explain. Once per combat round, you can attempt to dodge an enemy attack, negating it completely. You would have to roll under your agility, minus any armor penalties you may have. That way, even if you're some sort of super-kung-fu master you'll still likely get hit if like five guys pile up on you.

Intelligence determines amount of magicka, and may provide a bonus to spell-damage like strength provides a bonus to weapon-damage.

Strength determines starting HP, and depending upon the route we go may also influence HP gains.

Endurance determines starting HP, later HP gains, Fatigue, and may provide some sort of damage reduction.

Willpower determines fatigue, may provide a bonus to spell-damage, and allows you to attempt to resist spells cast at you like armor. Or dodging. Something along those lines

Speed determines how far you can move in a combat round, and may determine how many actions you can take in a combat round.

Personality provides a bonus on social interactions. Somehow. We'll get to that later.

Luck may determine how many "luck re-rolls" you can use in a given adventure.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://elderscrollspnp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Agility also helps determine ranged damage, I believe. So if you are a rogue that attacks from a distance, agility is doubly important. Still need strength to carry your loot and arrows though.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Outlander Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:24 pm

The Factions thread got me thinking that we may need a sort of initial reaction roll mechanic. Obviously this should be Personality based. Perhaps an NPC's initial reaction (First Impression?) should determine how hard it is to Persuade them later with the Streetwise, etc. skills.

Outlander

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Outlander wrote:The Factions thread got me thinking that we may need a sort of initial reaction roll mechanic. Obviously this should be Personality based. Perhaps an NPC's initial reaction (First Impression?) should determine how hard it is to Persuade them later with the Streetwise, etc. skills.

How about to get an npc's initial reaction to you, you roll a dice. 10 sided works, but since we are using 100 sides, that works too. 5(0) counts as the medium. Rolling higher than that means they like you more than your personality by that percent, rolling less means they like you less than your personality by that percent. So if you roll a 1, they like you 50% of your current personality, on a 100 (or 10) they like you twice your personality.

Twice may be a bit high, might go with up to 50% more for the top too. So if you have 50 personality and no faction modifiers or anything, and roll a 100, they would have a disposition of 75.

A little complex, I know, but it could always be improved later. Any suggestions?

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Outlander Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

First off: The singular of "dice" is "die".

Secondly: I really want to keep calculating percentages that aren't big and round (preferably multiples of 10) to a minimum, preferably out of the game entirely, as I and most people I know would need a calculator or a couple of minutes to do that. I definitely think it should be kept within a range of PER, though. I am, for now, still at a loss as to how to simplify this.

Outlander

Back to top Go down

Post  LessRudeScrib Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

How about we assign the skills ranks? Kind of like modifiers in D&D, or the similar mechanic in DH. So, that just goes on top of your personality rolls.
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Hence why I suggested a 10 sided die. Much easier to calculate, although using a 100 and just going with the first digit works too, to a degree. would make 10's really rare, but oh well.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Outlander Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:09 pm

LessRudeScrib wrote:How about we assign the skills ranks? Kind of like modifiers in D&D, or the similar mechanic in DH. So, that just goes on top of your personality rolls.

So: Attribute+(Skill/10)=TargetNumber

Outlander

Back to top Go down

Post  LessRudeScrib Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Derp, sorry, assign attributes ranks

so skill + (attr/10) = target number.
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm

LessRudeScrib wrote:Derp, sorry, assign attributes ranks

so skill + (attr/10) = target number.

Ah, that's more like it. Thus attributes effect a wide variety of skills when they are used. That's a good way to apply them for skill checks.

I still think personality should somehow determine base disposition with someone when you just meet them, deciding what you have to work with.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:18 pm

I like the idea of Personality influencing your first impression. Etiquette and Streetwise both determine what you know, not how attractive you are, your initial impression, or your force of personality. After you've set up a first impression, you can then use those skills to influence disposition.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LessRudeScrib Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Base disposition = (faction points)*PER/10, maybe

So, you total up your faction points (say, +3 for being both in Tribunal Temple, +2 for you being Redoran, +2 for being fighters guild, -1 because you joined Imperial Cult as well and -1 for being mages guild*) give you a total of 5 faction points, and say you took personality up to 60, so you'd have 30 for your base disposition, which would then be added to your streetwise or speechcraft rolls.

*I have no idea what character would have this array, but meh.
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm

How about speed/25 rounded down gives the number of actions per round, with a minimum of one? So at 100 you get 4 actions, at 75 you get 3, at 50 you get 2 and any lower than that is 1.

Suggestions?

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Outlander Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Or: PER+d10=InitialReaction; (InitialReaction/10)+Skill=TargetNumber

Outlander

Back to top Go down

Post  GLIPP Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Rainbay wrote:Agility also helps determine ranged damage, I believe. So if you are a rogue that attacks from a distance, agility is doubly important. Still need strength to carry your loot and arrows though.

Not true, actually. Raged damage was based on the strength stat. Marksman was, however, tied to the Agility stat, which meant that a higher agility gave you a bonus to your hit rate, and the rate at which you skill increased. However, being tied to a stat did not necessarily mean it affected the damage (citation: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Strength)

As for personality effecting initial disposition, I like it, but in my opinion it should be a flat modifier, not a roll.

GLIPP

Back to top Go down

Post  LessRudeScrib Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Outlander wrote:Or: PER+d10=InitialReaction; (InitialReaction/10)+Skill=TargetNumber
This could work, although I think GLIPP has a point about keeping it a flat number rather than a roll.
LessRudeScrib
LessRudeScrib

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm

GLIPP wrote:
Rainbay wrote:Agility also helps determine ranged damage, I believe. So if you are a rogue that attacks from a distance, agility is doubly important. Still need strength to carry your loot and arrows though.

Not true, actually. Raged damage was based on the strength stat. Marksman was, however, tied to the Agility stat, which meant that a higher agility gave you a bonus to your hit rate, and the rate at which you skill increased. However, being tied to a stat did not necessarily mean it affected the damage (citation: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Strength)

As for personality effecting initial disposition, I like it, but in my opinion it should be a flat modifier, not a roll.

oops, sorry, Durrhurr here. I thought governed by also included damage to some extent. I thought strength would be better, but I was just bringing up how I thought the game did things. This actually works better really.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Hexx Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Rainbay wrote:How about speed/25 rounded down gives the number of actions per round, with a minimum of one? So at 100 you get 4 actions, at 75 you get 3, at 50 you get 2 and any lower than that is 1.

Suggestions?

I really like this suggestion. Even when you're playing the videogames, at 100 Speed and mediocre athletics, you are one fast motherfucker. Makes a lot of sense and 4 actions don't seem very imbalanced to me. OR we can make it so it gives 3 max actions but the Athletics Master Skill perk is a 4th action Razz 2 birds with one stone?
Hexx
Hexx

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:52 pm

That sounds fine. Unless anyone has any serious objections I say we just incorporate it. Now, what are we going to do about actual movement speed? SPD/10 in meters?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hexx Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:03 pm

What do most PNP systems use for movement? I know D&D uses feet so maybe we should keep it like that for possible familiarity/better usage on maps?

Maybe SPD + Athletics /2 ? 100 feet is a lot, but it's the combined effort of a maxed out stat AND skill. To use an example, 100 Speed/Athletics = fucking stallion in-game.
Hexx
Hexx

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:20 pm

If 100 feet is too fast, perhaps change it to /4? That way, only fifty feet. And at 50 in both, 25 feet. It all depends on how long we consider each "action" to last in time.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  GLIPP Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm

While it is true that speed and athletics both influenced movement in game, combining a skill and an attribute for a static statistic doesn't seem like the simplest of things. I recommend leaving athletics to cover swimming, climbing, and the like.

As for the rest of the stats, I do feel they should have some stand-alone use. Some ideas are as follows.

Agility: Resisting direct damage magicka
Endurance: Resisting Poison and ability drain/damage
Intelligence: Raw problem solving, memorization, and common knowledge
Luck: Action points/Fate points/Bennies/Those things
Personality: Initial NPC reactions
Speed: Speed
Strength: Damage output
Willpower: Resisting non-direct damage magicka

GLIPP

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I sort of liked the idea of agility being used to try to dodge an incoming attack.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum