Elder Scrolls Tabletop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encumbrance

+4
GLIPP
LessRudeScrib
Rainbay
Admin
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Encumbrance - Page 2 Empty Re: Encumbrance

Post  Slotha Sil Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Rainbay wrote:Let's not complicate things more than they need to, encumberance as it is works rather well, let's not make this already difficult task of setting up a game tougher than it is.

That was supposed to be a hymn of good game design, yet here we are discussing how to implement rolls to see whether you get tired after battle, and if so how much.

I've already said that I can work with encumbrance being strength x5. I'll have example armor and weapons statted sometime during weekend, when I have time to sit down and decide how to implement weapon damage (d10 for daggers, x2 for one-handers, x4 for two-handers, -x/+x for fine tuning is my present favorite). My big problem is waiting for a decision whether to implement fatigue into weapon damage, because AR will have to take that into account.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

Back to top Go down

Post  Dagoth Durr Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:26 pm

If I remember correctly in the actual game fatigue only effected chance to hit, so might as well do it that way.
Dagoth Durr
Dagoth Durr

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Sorry, this was the first post I made today, where I was a little frustrated that no one had been posting (hence my run of alotta different posts on alotta different topics), so it was needlessly acerbic.

And admin suggested we make action points based on speed. Speed/10 would decide how many points you had, and different actions would take different amounts. Perhaps there could be a system implimented where you can expend more action points to deal more damage or some such?

I'm personally torn on this issue, of how fatigue should be handled. I really like the penalty if you roll under your max (or current if expendable) after a battle. I also like the fatigue points to spend idea, but I think it might be a pain to keep up with.

Perhaps it could be used when rolling for damage in that you expend as much fatigue as you want, and you can only hit up to that amount when you roll for damage, up to the amount the weapon+strength modifiers will go. The issue with this is of course how it would be weighted fairly. If someone used 43 fatigue and rolled, more than half the rolls would be above 43 so you'd nearly always do the max of 43 damage.

Sorry that I'm not of much help here.

EDIT: Fatigue also affected damage though, in that pulling back further for more damage would make it so the swing cost more fatigue but did more damage.

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Slotha Sil Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Rainbay wrote:Sorry, this was the first post I made today, where I was a little frustrated that no one had been posting (hence my run of alotta different posts on alotta different topics), so it was needlessly acerbic.

And admin suggested we make action points based on speed. Speed/10 would decide how many points you had, and different actions would take different amounts. Perhaps there could be a system implimented where you can expend more action points to deal more damage or some such?

I'm personally torn on this issue, of how fatigue should be handled. I really like the penalty if you roll under your max (or current if expendable) after a battle. I also like the fatigue points to spend idea, but I think it might be a pain to keep up with.

Perhaps it could be used when rolling for damage in that you expend as much fatigue as you want, and you can only hit up to that amount when you roll for damage, up to the amount the weapon+strength modifiers will go. The issue with this is of course how it would be weighted fairly. If someone used 43 fatigue and rolled, more than half the rolls would be above 43 so you'd nearly always do the max of 43 damage.

Sorry that I'm not of much help here.

EDIT: Fatigue also affected damage though, in that pulling back further for more damage would make it so the swing cost more fatigue but did more damage.

I really hate the idea of using an action point system. That's not the way speed worked at all in the game, and it would be annoying to bookkeep. Using fatigue as a kind of magicka for physical exertion solved both the issue of how to implement fatigue and the issue of differentiating between weapons - daggers would cost nearly nothing to use, while a daedric battleaxe would leave you exhausted (and covered in gore) after a dozen swings. Speed was totally fine just for determining movement rates per round.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbay Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Actually, in daggerfall speed was used in determining the speed you could swing a weapon at. And since this system is getting influences from daggerfall as well as morrowind, that takes some affect.

You do have a point, however. Perhaps we should re-open the fatigue thread for the continued debate on the subject of how fatigue should work? It's currently hard to see when it updates with the way it is stickied.

EDIT: also, how should we represent the speed of the different weapons? Just their to hit bonuses?

Rainbay

Back to top Go down

Post  Slotha Sil Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 am

Rainbay wrote:Actually, in daggerfall speed was used in determining the speed you could swing a weapon at. And since this system is getting influences from daggerfall as well as morrowind, that takes some affect.

You do have a point, however. Perhaps we should re-open the fatigue thread for the continued debate on the subject of how fatigue should work? It's currently hard to see when it updates with the way it is stickied.

EDIT: also, how should we represent the speed of the different weapons? Just their to hit bonuses?

Well, if speed did affect combat in Daggerfall, then it has as much right to be in as fatigue does. Maybe combine the two, then - speed gives you AP, fatigue you can burn to swing harder (you can "fill up" your damage roll to full ten, for example), or do things a few AP over your limit (Arcanum had something like that, for reference), or just plan pay to swing with heavy one- and two-handed weapons. Those fatigue checks would work fine to express fatigue drain after periods of swimming, climbing and running. Since hit points (by my system) would be equal to 3x endurance, having the same amount of fatigue would allow for some adventuresome leeway while still being low enough to pay attention to.
Slotha Sil
Slotha Sil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum